APM: Dumb program acting funny...

tmcd at panix.com tmcd at panix.com
Thu Oct 19 06:32:43 PDT 2006

On Thu, 19 Oct 2006, Mike Stok <mike at stok.co.uk> wrote:
> I usually work the other way around, using warnings everywhere, and
> then using no warnings as tightly scoped as possible to mark where I
> know uninitialized variables and perl's treatment of them are OK

I enable warnings everywhere.  I simply don't use undef values: I used
defined() and exists() to prevent their use (and assign a value to a
display variable explicitly if I need to).

To reply to another note, I've never had to fiddle with the package
symbol table.  The most I've had to do is use package variables -- for
Getopt, perhaps? -- and then I just do $::var or whatever.

Tim McDaniel; Reply-To: tmcd at panix.com