APM: Next dumb Q: IF NULL????

Bob Apthorpe apthorpe+pm at cynistar.net
Tue Oct 17 20:32:26 PDT 2006

Hi,

Leeland Heins wrote:
> One small nit...  I think you mean:
>
> if ($options{'debug'}) {
>
> in your example above...

Right; I pulled that fragment out of a routine that used a reference for
the option hash and I didn't want to muddle the issue with hash
references and gory bits like that. One problem at a time.

FWIW, I've been getting a lot of mileage out of Perl::Tidy and
Perl::Critic recently, trying to conform my existing scripts to best
practices. Perl::Critic gets a bit pedantic at times but overall I think
it helps. I end up manually turning it off for a half-dozen statements
where the 'unnecessary' parens clarify what's really going on. Between
'strict', 'warnings', Perl::Critic, and Perl::Tidy, there's very little
reason for stereotypically crappy perl code. Starting off, they can help
build good practices by keeping one's code legible and flagging
problematic statements.

Thanks for keeping me honest,

-- Bob