APM: Looking for a good HTML templating system

Wayne Walker wwalker at bybent.com
Thu Oct 27 07:49:07 PDT 2005

On Thu, Oct 27, 2005 at 09:25:47AM -0500, Chris Tooley wrote:
> We use HTML::Template extensively and I really like it.  We've used it
> for a long time.  Like Smarty it has some quirks, but it's light, and
> easy to use, and since it's integrated well with CGI::Application it
> doesn't require any extra effort to use if you're using
> CGI::Application.
CGI::Application Rocks!!  Maypole, Catalyst, Ruby on Rails are all
better, but MUCH heavier.  If you want lightweight MVC with a short
learning curve, CGI::Application and HTML::Template.

> It (Template::Toolkit) does however have a lot of benefits and
> version 3 which is coming soon, should add some support for other
> languages as well.

This remids me.  HTML::Template is supported on lots of languages.  Off
the top of my head I believe that the HTML::Template engine exists for
Ruby, Python, PHP, C++, Java, and, oh yeah... perl.  Probably lots more
now.  that list is from a year or tow ago.

--

Wayne Walker

wwalker at bybent.com                    Do you use Linux?!
http://www.bybent.com                 Get Counted!  http://counter.li.org/