APM: [Fwd: (Google) Sr. Linux Cluster System Admin. & Sr. Software Engineer/Unix System & Network Administrator (2 Job Openings)]

Bryan K. Reed bkreed at hackboy.com
Thu May 5 08:43:54 PDT 2005

On Thu, May 05, 2005 at 09:43:13AM -0500, Dzuy Nguyen wrote:

> It would be very difficult to be a sys admin that lives thousands of miles
> away from the servers.  Very interesting jobs, though.  It would be ideal if
> google had built an op center here.

I used to admin AIX and HPUX servers in Dallas from the Pepsico office in
Wichita.  Only the hardware wranglers need to have access to the machines.
Pretty much you need someone to rack the servers, do the tape shuffle, cycle
power if you don't have the gear to do it remotely and let the SEs in to work
on the hardware when it breaks.   Everything else can be done remotely.

I don't think I ever actually touched the machines at Pepsico.  During
my stint at Deja, I think I actually went to the co-lo maybe twice.  (Once
for a tour and once when Broadwing ran their generator dry...boy was
that a fun weekend.)

Bryan K. Reed  bkreed at hackboy.com
'And sanity is really just a one trick pony, anyway.  I mean, all you
 get is one trick, RATIONAL THINKING!  But when you're good and crazy,
 the sky's the limit!'   -- The TICK