APM: user accounts in Linux

Martie Knauss mdknauss at yahoo.com
Wed Jun 15 08:48:19 PDT 2005

Hello! I have a question re: user accounts in Linux.
I'm a systems admin here in Austin and I'm working
with a vendor to install a new Linux box (Linux
version 2.4.21-20 according to uname -a).  The vendor
is reporting that the application they are trying to
install has certain files that must be owned by
bin:bin (user:group).  My understanding is that Linux
has 3 basic user account versions: root (privilidged),
service, and basic user accounts.  My guess is that
the bin account is a service type account.  So what is
unique about the bin account and why would the vendors
application have certain files that need to be owned
by bin?  Especially when a basic user account would be
starting the application.  Thanks in advance.

Martie