APM: installing modules on a virtual server

Ian Remmler ian at remmler.org
Tue Sep 28 14:25:08 CDT 2004

On Tue, Sep 28, 2004 at 01:37:01PM -0500, Sam Foster wrote:
> I'm using bash.
> 	setenv PERL5LIB ~/perl
> gives me the error that setenv is not available.
>
> 	export PERL5LIB=~/perl
> gave me nothing.

The latter in bash does exactly what the former does in cshell.
That should be all you need.  setenv does not exist in
bourne-based shells.  If you want to use setenv you can always
run csh, then try it from there.

If by "gave me nothing" above, you mean there was no output from
the command, that's normal.  Just do a "set |grep PERL5LIB" or
"echo $PERL5LIB" to see the contents.  If you already know this
stuff, excuse the wasted bytes.

Unless the perl binary is wonkey, I can't see a reason why that
shouldn't work.  I'm using a similar setup at work with no
problems.  I haven't needed the 'use lib' trick.

--
Go banana!