APM: %udat - embperl only partially updates sessions records

Jeremy Brooks jbrooks4 at austin.rr.com
Wed May 12 17:02:14 CDT 2004

I'm experimenting with emperl sessions using MySQL and am pretty
empressed so far.  ...but.

I have a simple test embperl file that presents a login form and
if you submit anything at all then $udat{un}, $udat{time} and $udat{cid}
get created with the username, unix timestamp, and username
respectively.
A record gets created in state.sessions but only the 'id' (
$udat{_session_id} ) gets inserted into the record.  The browser
receives the cookie and the %udat values hang around but they don't get
added to the session record.   I've added session debug output to the
embperl log and I see SES: entries indicating that the user data has
changed but, still, nothing but the id appears in the session record.
[- $udat{time} = time; -] is at the top of the file and ensures that the
session gets updated at every request.   Does anyone have an idea as to
why the other %udat values are not getting inserted into sessions?
I'll include code samples if need be.  I've included info about the
sessions table and the system/software.

thanks in advance,
  Jeremy

+-----------+-------------+------+-----+---------+-------+
| Field     | Type        | Null | Key | Default | Extra |
+-----------+-------------+------+-----+---------+-------+
| id        | varchar(32) |      | PRI |         |       |
| a_session | text        | YES  |     | NULL    |       |
| un        | blob        | YES  |     | NULL    |       |
| cid       | blob        | YES  |     | NULL    |       |
| time      | varchar(10) | YES  |     | NULL    |       |
+-----------+-------------+------+-----+---------+-------+

RedHat 9.0
1. Perl 5.8.0
2. Apache 2.0.49 compiled from source:
   ./configure --prefix=/usr/local/apache2.0.49 --enable-rewrite=yes
--with-mpm=prefork
3. mod_perl-1.99_13 compiled from source:
   perl Makefile.PL MP_INST_APACHE2=1
MP_AP_PREFIX=/usr/local/apache2.0.49
4. Embperl-2.0b10 compiled from source:
   perl Makefile.PL
   Apache headers from /usr/local/apache2.0.49
   no XALAN
5. CGI.pm-3.0.5
6. DBI-1.42
7. Apache-SessionX-2.00b5