APM: new guy

Sam Foster austin.pm at sam-i-am.com
Tue Jan 20 15:51:38 CST 2004

Christopher Baker wrote:
 > Are you bring green eggs and ham to the meeting?
 >
 > What do you do? Where do you work?
 >
 > Chris

No green eggs and ham, sorry. I'm a vegetarian so the ham is out. Green
eggs could be done though. If you're nice to me, I'll consider it for
next month :)

I'm employed by frogdesign (www.frogdesign.com) as a "design
technologist (Snr)" (read: front-end / client-side web developer.) I
support the design teams by evaluating, prototyping and implementing
designs, and integrate with either our or the client's development team
to make it happen true to the design vision.
I'm also usually the one charged with creating the end deliverable -
which is frequently some kind of web-based styleguide or asset library.

I push a lot of files around, and that's where perl comes in. I mostly
use it to speed up "all the other stuff" that needs to happen, so I
maximize my time doing the stuff where I can add real value (fancy
html/css/javascript - where "value" is of course very subjective :).
I've written scripts to (e.g.) build downloadable zip archives of a
given page and all its immediate dependancies (images, css etc); convert
from local to absolute paths; clean out cruft from directory trees, and
so on. I also maintain locahost.com, where all the logging, redirection,
emailing etc is handled by a perl/cgi I re-vamped recently.

Some perl-ish ambitions: a configurable (real-time) proxy server for
mirroring, analyzing and otherwise munging web content; a code-only
search engine: search for the tags, not the content; a home-grown
blogging tool that does what I need, and nothing more.

so, that's something about me. I'll see some of you tommorow?

Sam