APM: Installing modules locally on a shared server

Tim Peoples tim at toolman.org
Thu Apr 29 07:47:10 CDT 2004

The FAQ section of "perldoc CPAN" says:

       5)  I am not root, how can I install a module in a per­
           sonal directory?

           You will most probably like something like this:

             o conf makepl_arg "LIB=~/myperl/lib \
                               INSTALLMAN1DIR=~/myperl/man/man1 \
                               INSTALLMAN3DIR=~/myperl/man/man3"
             install Sybase::Sybperl

           You can make this setting permanent like all "o conf"
           settings with "o conf commit".

           You will have to add ~/myperl/man to the MANPATH envi­
           ronment variable and also tell your perl programs to
           look into ~/myperl/lib, e.g. by including

             use lib "$ENV{HOME}/myperl/lib";

           or setting the PERL5LIB environment variable.

           Another thing you should bear in mind is that the
           UNINST parameter should never be set if you are not
           root.

Tim.