APM: Austin Geek Cruise

Chris Tooley chris at tooley.com
Mon Apr 26 15:12:13 CDT 2004

The other day my wife asked me if we could go on a cruise.  Having never
gotten to take honeymoon and with a father that owns a travel agency, I
figured it was worth looking into.  Turns out is a lot cheaper to do
groups than individuals.  This got me thinking about doing an Austin
Geek Cruise.  What transpired after talking to the travel agency for the
day is something I wanted to propose to you all.  I want to try to put
this together for the fun of getting to take a trip, not for a profit.

The trip would be a chartered bus from Austin to Galveston and back
after the cruise.  The rates are per person but there has to be two
people in a cabin.  If someone needs help with getting a cabin mate I'm
sure that can be arranged.  By all means bring that significant other.
I'd never live through it if I didn't take my wife.  It's a year out but
for a group we have to start the process now.

We have one of four of the speaker slots filled by Ray Ellis.  He is
going to speak about Aspect Oriented Programming.  We are discussing
arrangements with other speakers (no Mark, not woofers, or tweaters, or
even mid range :)).

If this is something people are interested in please reply to me
directly.  If I get no interest I promise I'll drop it.  If it looks
like it will work I'll probably expand it to other technology user
groups in Austin or Central Texas.  I'm not really opposed to people
from outside the area joining in but it's a package price that's broken
down here for the purposes of full disclosure.  We need about 30 double
occupancy cabins to make everything work.  That's a decent sized group
but it will be fun to take over a cruise ship.

There's already been talk of putting together an insta-cluster to create
the world's fastest floating supercomputer cluster.

If you're interested please go here, and take a look at it:

http://www.carsontravel.com/AustinGeekCruise/

Don't mind the horrible HTML, I stole a lot of it from Carnival. :)
--
Chris Tooley <chris at tooley.com>