APM: Invoking a shell

Brian Michalk michalk at awpi.com
Thu Mar 20 20:52:38 CST 2003

Wayne Walker showed a way to have an interactive shell in a CGI.

I need an (insecure) access to the shell via a perl script.

I tried:
my $pid = open2($rdrfh, $wtrfh, '/bin/sh');
But that didn't work.

I'm taking input from a socket and sending it to bash, and returning the
results to the socket, basically just like a telnet session would look.

Why not use telnet you say?  I can't get it to work that way with winsock.

Now, I can do this:
    46        my $cmd = <$fh>;
    47        print "Command: $cmd";
    48        $results = `$cmd`;
    49        $fh->send($results);
Works as advertized, but the shell exits immediately, and commands issued do
not remain permanent, even if I do a command with an '&' at the end.

 Brian Michalk  <http://www.michalk.com>
musician, home-brewer, entrepreneur and mostly single