APM: Debugging memory leak

ezra pagel ezra at jdba.org
Wed Jul 9 11:56:57 CDT 2003

I don't know of any memory monitoring stuff in perl, but it may be
there.

The Devel:: modules tend to be pretty helpful with this stuff;
specifically, Devel::Peek lets you dump memory stats. I've never used
Devel::Leak, but if you suspect circular references or shiesty gc'ing,
then that may be worth looking into. Only problem is that you'll need a
perl built with -DDEBUGGING, -DEEBUGGING_MSTATS, and using perl's
malloc(). That's not always realistic for production builds, but I find
it useful for testbed/QA environments.