APM: Determining speed

Goldilox Goldilox at teachnet.edb.utexas.edu
Thu Dec 5 10:43:43 CST 2002

I just want to say first I appreciate everyone's responses to the questions I
throw out here, and I have another one...

I'm pulling from a SQL database (W2K OS) and it is taking a couple seconds to
display the results (lots of parsing and a couple different SQL queries in one
script). How can I determine where the time is being spent? i.e. I want to see
the time spent waiting for the database to deliver its payload vs how long it
takes the Perl script to do its work. I have no idea of the terminology I
should be using here, but I'm hoping this is a common interest that might have
some modules or commands readily available? Basically I want to figure out if
my Perl is so clunky it could be improved or if it's just the database that is
taking up most of the time.

Thanks again!

Rhett