[Auckland-pm] Is anyone out there?

Jacinta Richardson jarich at perltraining.com.au
Thu Jan 12 16:25:09 PST 2006

Dan Horne wrote:
> Hi Jacinta
>
> Thanks for the update re: the Wiki. As for the Auckland Perlmongers, it's
> something I'd like to get off the ground, but I'm having difficulty finding
> other Perl programmers, let alone ones who would be interested in PM

G'day Dan,

I'm glad to see someone's out there!

We (Perl Training Australia) have a number of clients in Auckland, working for
Optus, Teradata and the Manukau City Council, so there definately *are* Perl
programmers in Auckland.

I've invited these lovely folk to join in on the wiki, although many of them
still appear to be on holiday at the moment.  If I can suggest that you put
together something convincing on the Auckland wiki page

	http://perl.net.au/wiki/Auckland_Perl_Mongers

it might be possible that we'll be able to work together to make Auckland Perl
Mongers a reality.  I've given you a few things to think about.

The important step in building a user group is to advertise it.  I'll do our
best to help you here on the PerlNet side of things, but that won't be enough to
get you sufficient critical mass to get meetings happening.  People won't join a
user group that doesn't appear to be active.  So you'll need to launch Auckland
PM.  To do this, contact similar user groups in your area (to find the Perl
programmers who are going along because they don't have a local PM group):

	Auckland Linux Users ( http://auckland.linux.net.nz/ ,
	Auckland PHP Users Group,
	perhaps the  Waikato Linux Users Group,
	NZ.NET User Group,
	Auckland Macintosh Society,
	Amiga Auckland Inc,
	Auckland MySQL Meetup (http://mysql.meetup.com/94/e),
	Auckland Web Design Meetup Group (http://webdesign.meetup.com/108/).

to let them know that you're starting up Auckland PM and you invite them to
join.  Send an announcement to use.perl.org as well.

You'll need to update your pm.org page as well.

All the best,

	Jacinta

--
   ("`-''-/").___..--''"`-._          |  Jacinta Richardson         |
    `6_ 6  )   `-.  (     ).`-.__.`)  |  Perl Training Australia    |