[Athens-pm] use charnames

Antonis Faragitakis skatoulininis at yahoo.com
Wed Mar 26 23:18:42 CST 2003

xoxoxo hello everyone!
log time no seen!
It's 7:12 in the morning and i wake up to go and get my new perl book.
It is called "Programming the Perl DBI" and I am really happy.
Anyway this is not the only thing I wanna share with you. I wake up and
start reading about charnames function
and I've tried to run the following program from ActiveState's documentation
examples.
The program is as follows:

#!perl
use charnames ':full';
  print "\N{GREEK SMALL LETTER SIGMA} is called sigma.\n";
  use charnames ':short';
  print "\N{greek:Sigma} is an upper-case sigma.\n";
  use charnames qw(cyrillic greek);
  print "\N{sigma} is Greek sigma, and \N{be} is Cyrillic b.\n";
## This line is for pause purposes
  $a =<STDIN>;

and i get this output:

Name "main::a" used only once: possible typo at Noname1.pl line 9. #ok this
line is not a problem
Wide character in print at Noname1.pl line 4.
?â is called sigma. 					#### Er, where is my greek Sigma!?
Wide character in print at Noname1.pl line 6.
?ú is an upper-case sigma. 				##### Or, my uppercase Sigma!?
Wide character in print at Noname1.pl line 8.
?â is Greek sigma, and ?? is Cyrillic b. 		##### What about this one!?

Antonis!