MySQL?!

Arthur Corliss corliss at sinbad.net
Wed May 12 12:32:22 CDT 1999

Greetings:

Quick question for you Perl/MySQL gurus:  we're a Perl script that
creates HTML statistical reports from Apache log files (don't bother
asking about it, the script's crap, written by some other nitwit, and is
being replaced).  We're in the process of rolling our own replacement,
but in the interim, we've modified the script to extract the applicable
data from MySQL, via DBI.

Here's the problem--on a query that returns around 600,000 applicable
log entries (the log entry has already been separated into separate
columns in the table), memory usage of the script zooms over 150MB, and
doesn't release it, even after continuing onto a much smaller query.

It is possible that the memory leak is in the original script, but are
there any known issues with DBI/MySQL-DBD?  Just curious, since at one
time, we were exploring using the Interbase RDBMS, but the Perl module
for it (non-DBI) leaks like a sieve.

BTW, who's using MySQL with tables on the order of gigabytes?  Anyone
have to handle trying to squeeze indices on +3 million record tables
into that damnable 2GB file size limit?

	--Arthur Corliss
	  Bolverk's Lair -- http://www.odinicfoundation.org/arthur/