Oh Boy, Oh Boy, Oh Boy!!!

Fielder George Dowding fgd at alaska.net
Sat May 1 01:13:44 CDT 1999

Greetings fellow apm's (Anchorage Perl Mongers)!

I am hooked! I just did the monthly thing with the Mabel T. Caverly
newsletter, and I am really tickled how my first real Pearl script eased
my task. It still takes me a couple (about three and a half this time)
of futzing in MS Publisher to get the newsletter in a reasonable shape
to publish to the web. In the past it took another two hours or more in
vi or emacs, depending on the number of pages, to set up the html to
present the images, provide navigation, and get the update date and
title correct. Last month I spent the time writing a Perl script to do
the job. The pay off was this month - I am done almost before I started.
I still have to do the redirect index tomorrow by hand. So that is my
next project in Perl - to have a script on the site change the redirect
based on the date (new month) and whether or not there is an
"index.html" file in the target month's subdirectory. It doesn't sound
to difficult, but right now as "Johnny Newcomb", I don't know where to
start.

Cheerio for now!
--
Fielder George Dowding dba Iceworm Enterprises
fgd at alaska.net             iceworm at customcpu.com
909 Chugach Way Lot 35, Anchorage, Alaska, US 99503-5667