Things I do With Perl

Tony tonyt at ptialaska.net
Mon Mar 8 19:33:51 CST 1999

Mr. Corliss suggested we write about our use of Perl.  Dandy suggestion.
So, just to throw my Perl life into  the mix:

I work at SEARHC in Sitka, as the financial DBA/hack/sysadmin.  We use an
application called Banner (From SCT-- it's the same stuff UA uses) which
is an app that runs on the Oracle db.  So, naturally I use Perl/DBI.

I first started using Perl about 18 months ago, when I started getting
hammered with report requests.  I guess Banner does not come with a
plethora of reports, even stuff necessary for mandatory federal reporting.
Yikes.  So I created a web site, whipped up some forms, and used Perl to
create the CGI/db hooks.

I'm now working on a generic log-in-once system that allows the DBA to
just drop reports in somewhere on the report path.  I'm finished with the
infrastructure; now I'm just converting my old reports to the new, generic
format.

Anyway, that's my Perl-life.

As an aside, I will have FTP/web space on our corporate machine outside
the firewall; this machine is in Juneau.  I may be able to host some
services there; maybe an FTP repository or a small, ancillary web site.

						- Tony