Banner/Link exchange proposal (fwd)

Roxanne Reid-Bennett rox at tara-lu.com
Tue Dec 21 11:12:31 CST 1999

corliss at alaskapm.org wrote:
>[...]
> Finally, I love the idea of this group, and I would really like to see some
> life in it.  Perhaps our problems exist with its current leadership.  If you
> feel that's the case, then by all means, let me know, I'll defer my status to
> site maintainer if you can breathe some life into the group.  :-)

Arthur,

I can't speak for anybody else, however I can speak for me.  "Life" in
the group is a matter of more than one wanting to see something happen.
It is just possible that you don't have a lot of live bodies. [I know
I'm not one in this case]

I'm perfectly happy with your leadership.

I know how frustrating it can be to try everything you can think of to
"get something going" and still not succeed. It gets especially
frustrating when you have the feeling that somebody else would succeed
where we ourselves have failed.  I guess my point is, stick with it.
Nobody else has better ideas, or they would have come out when you asked
for them ;)

Contribute what time you can, and others will contribute as they can and
have an interest/need.

> One thing that might be causing some of our problems:  I realise that most of
> our membership consists of veteran Perl programmers, most of which are
> traditionally self-reliant--we know where to look to find the answers we need,
> so we dig them up ourselves.  Even so, consider airing out the problem
Agreed, although I'm not sure you have the entire picture painted. Not
only are "we" self-reliant (being veteran Perl programmers), but we're
Alaskan to boot, which adds it's own level of self-reliance as well as
... well to put it bluntly, I've seen a remarkable reluctance in people
here to paint anything but a rosy picture. (Air *my* problems where
other people can see them?  ... I've found that when anonymity is
possible, people are more willing to admit their problems)

Frankly I'm not doing much in the way of Perl at the moment. [well, ok I
did write a parser last month.. and I did have one significant problem.
I did not think about reading in 2x10Mb of files into memory before
writing things back out again. However, that was easily identified and
fixed.

> Newbies:  don't be afraid to ask questions.  Seeing how low traffic this list
> is, I don't think anyone will complain about FAQs--they certainly can't
> distract us from any other interesting conversations.  ;-)

Other intersting conversations?  Hey, how come they're not on the list?
Private conversations aren't allowed <veg>.

At best as a generator of interesting conversation I can toss out the
suggestion that you attempt to find 12 people willing to write one short
(up to 2 pages?) dissertation on the usage of some piece of Perl, like
"how to create a package".. just an overview, a kinda lead me into it
kinda thing.  I've been using Perl since '95, but I don't use it for a
lot of things, nor do I begin to use all of it's power.

Rox
Roxanne Reid-Bennett                       rox at tara-lu.com
President, Tara-Lu Corporation     http://www.tara-lu.com/

"Microsoft has dinosaurs in their DNA. Where would *you* go today?"
(See Internet Week Dec 6th Issue, page 1)