[AmsterdamX-pm] Amsterdam eXpats Perl Mongers July meeting (July 29th, 18:30)

sawyer x xsawyerx at gmail.com
Tue Jul 15 08:05:07 PDT 2014

This July our AmsterdamX.pm meeting is all about Perl core, by two core
developers! I'm pretty damned excited about that!

*In a nutshell:*
Date: Tuesday, July 29th.
Time: 18:30 - 20:30 (theoretically).
Location: Booking.com, Herengracht 597, Amsterdam room on 2nd floor.

*Talks:*

*Yves Orton (demerphq) - Breaking Perls Old Hash Function*

Yves will talk about the hash randomization in the perl core, or phrased
differently: Key Discovery Attack on Bob Jenkins One-At-A-Time Hash (as
used in earlier perls).

Yves will explain the mechanism, the weakness, and how it was solved in
modern versions of the perl interpreter.

*Abigail - Releasing perl*

For many years, perl releases were infrequent, with a single person (the
"pumpking") responsible for several subsequent releases.

This has changed in the last years, and perl is released on a frequent
schedule, with many people ("release managers") taking turns and making a
release of perl. In this talk, we will look at what it takes to make a perl
release, and show that "everyone" is able to become a release manager.

Abigail can speak from personal experiences, having released perl twice
before. Abigail is also the acting release manager, and will do a release
at the end of July 2014.

*Unabridged:*
You've probably heard of the Perl Mongers meetings, where fellow Perl (and
non-Perl) programmers can get together to "talk shop", make fun of
everything (including Perl), and have a good time. These meetings often
have a few technical talks (which are usually light-hearted, and not
necessarily - but likely - involve Perl). There are already Amsterdam.pm
meetings. This is not about those. This is about AmsterdamX.pm.

The talks can be a 5 minute tidbit about a cool module, or a 40 minute
tutorial about some cool new (or old) software.

*AmsterdamX.pm?*
AmsterdamX.pm (Amsterdam eXpats Perl Mongers) is a new Perl Mongers group
whose purpose is to optimize for expats. The major differences are:
* use English; We might speak more than 50 languages, but we commonly speak
only one.
* Meeting early: we meet at 18:30, so you can come straight from work
instead of having a long buffer time to the meeting.
* Held at Booking.com, where most Perl expats in Amsterdam already work.

This isn't to replace Amsterdam.pm, but to provide an additional group. It
is only meant to supplement.

*Why should I attend?*
Here are a few reasons which might appeal to you:
* You will improve your knowledge of Perl (and most likely other
technologies) through the knowledge and experience of others. It's like a
free course, with snacks!
* You could give a talk and share your knowledge and experience. If you're
going to YAPC to give a talk, this is great practice.
* It's a wonderful chance to socialize.

*How many talks, and how long are they?*
Usually there will be 2-3 talks, ranging between 5 minutes (lightning) and
40 minutes (tutorial).

*Is it just for Booking.com?*
No. This isn't Booking.pm, this is AmsterdamX.pm. (also, Sparta!)
This means that everyone is invited! We suggest that people register so we
could have a good estimate of the people arriving. This will help with
various things like optimized snack distribution, making sure reception
knows of people arriving that don't have keys, making sure we get a proper
room, etc.

*Now I'm interested, what's the next step?*
Please let us know by return email if you will be attending as well as the
names of anyone you plan on bringing from outside of Booking.com.

Then mark the date, time and place, and show up!

See you there!