[AmsterdamX-pm] Amsterdam eXpats Perl Mongers January meeting (January 28th, 18:30)

sawyer x xsawyerx at gmail.com
Tue Jan 21 14:03:34 PST 2014

This January we get to enjoy another talk by Philippe Bruhat (BooK).
Wonderful!

*In a nutshell:*
Date: Tuesday, January 28th.
Time: 18:30 - 20:30 (theoretically)
Location: Booking.com, Herengracht 597, Restaurant on 5th floor.

*Talks:*

*Philippe Bruhat (BooK) - Programming Slides *Every time I write slides I
want something different, and each time the tool I used previously does not
quite fit the next talk. After having used plain HTML, Magic Point, S5,
LibreOffice Impress, and PDF::API2, I'm probably settling on PostScript for
some time.

* Sawyer X** - *
*Perl and the Web - A Love Story *
In the beginning of the great kingdom of the Internet, there was one ruler:
Perl. With time, fallen from grace, the beautiful princess language lost
its place on the throne, giving way to Ruby, Python, and to the dismay and
horror of everyone in the kingdom, PHP.

But all is not lost. While underground, Perl has schemed a plot to
overthrow the competitors. That plan is Plack/PSGI.

Interested in knowing more? Attend the talk, if you dare!

*Lightning talks round!*

Please let me know if you're interested in giving a short lightning talk
(up to 5 minutes).

 *Unabridged:*
You've probably heard of the Perl Mongers meetings, where fellow Perl (and
non-Perl programmers) can get together to "talk shop", make fun of
everything (including Perl) and have a good time. These meetings often have
a few technical talks (which are usually light-hearted, and not necessarily
- but likely - involve Perl). There are already the Amsterdam.pm meetings.
This is not about those. This is about AmsterdamX.pm, which will have its
next meeting on *January 28th*, at *18:30*, in the *5th floor restaurant*at
*Booking.com*, *Herengracht 597*.

The talks can be a 5 minute tidbit about a cool module, or a 40 minute
tutorial about some cool new (or old) software.

*AmsterdamX.pm? *AmsterdamX.pm (Amsterdam eXpats Perl Mongers) is a new
Perl Mongers group whose purpose is to optimize for expats. The major
differences are:
* use English; We might speak more than 50 languages, but we commonly speak
only one.
* Meeting early: we meet at 18:30, so you can come straight from work
instead of having a long buffer time to the meeting.
* Held at Booking.com, where most expats in Amsterdam already work.

This isn't instead of Amsterdam.pm, but to provide an additional group. It
is not meant to replace, but to supplement. There is no affiliation between
Amsterdam.pm and AmsterdamX.pm.

*Why should I attend? *Here are a few reasons which might appeal to you:
* You will improve your knowledge of Perl (and most likely other
technologies) through the knowledge and experience of others. It's like a
free course, with snacks!
* You could give a talk and share your knowledge and experience. If you're
going to YAPC to give a talk, this is great practice.
* It's a wonderful chance to socialize.

*How many talks, and how long are they?*
Usually there will be 2-3 talks, ranging between 5 minutes (lightning) and
40 minutes (tutorial).

*Is it just for Booking.com?*
No. This isn't Booking.pm, this is AmsterdamX.pm. (also, Sparta!)
This means that everyone is invited! At first we would like people to
*register* so we could have a good estimate of the people arriving. This
will help with various things like optimized snack distribution, making
sure reception knows of people arriving that don't have keys, making sure
we get a proper room, etc.

 *Now I'm interested, what's the next step?*
Please let us know by return email if you will be attending as well as the
names of anyone you plan on bringing from outside of Booking.com.

Then mark the date, time and place and show up!

See you there!