[albany-pm] Tech meeting

Patrick Cronin oshihuna at gmail.com
Tue Sep 30 08:26:18 PDT 2014

Great meeting last night. I got my first code review on a tiny script and the feedback was super useful. I always learn something new.

A couple follow-ups:

1. "Ring", "Creaky door" and "Hey can ya hear me?" Did anyone "accidentally leave" an Eviltron on my bag at the meeting last night? I'm still trying to figure out how to turn it off. (Just wondering if you want it back.) I was lucky enough to recognize the sounds of the device after a while because I am also an owner, but it definitely caught me off guard this morning and took a while to figure out what was happening.

2. I like our meet up because I usually learn a lot, and it's never boring. In case you're interested, I've been to a couple other tech meetings in the area which have larger followings of tech minded people:
a. Tech Valley Ruby Brigade - 4th Wednesday of each month, 6 - 8:30PM, at Enable Labs in Troy. Food and drinks provided. Presentations are usually related to Ruby, sometimes lightning talks, sometimes project days. Attendees (usually 10-20 people) are all tech minded and range from 0 Ruby ability - expert Ruby ability. Nice community and some very smart people.
b. Capital District Linux Users Group (CDLUG) - usually 1st Saturday of every month, 1-3PM, at East Greenbush Library. No food/drinks provided. More of a meet up than anything else, people come in, plug in, and work on their own projects (which range the gamut from software to hardware to homemade electronic peripherals), help with others', or just see what's going on. Attendees (usually 7-12 people) range the gamut on abilities, and you do not need to have a penguin patch on your bag to get in. Relaxed atmosphere. Active mailing list.
c. Albany 2600 - First Friday of each month, usually meets at or around SUNY Albany from 6:00 PM - 8 or so. Meetup style meeting. 2600 advances the notion that "hackers" are people who are curious about how things work, and the term should not be applied to people who break into computer systems with malevolent intent. Historically, 2600 took its name from phreaking (phone "hacking" - building and using things like red boxes and blue boxes). 2600 currently concerns itself with governments' and individuals' use/abuse of technology within the realms of innovation, media treatment, espionage, and privacy (both domestic and abroad). The local meet up is attended by 10 or so people who are technically curious individuals who are hackers in the 2600 sense. The best way to find the meeting for the month is via their IRC channel.

3. Is anyone interested in doing a social meet up just before Halloween?

-Pat

	Patrick Cronin
Computer Lover
Mobile: +1 518 336 5133
Email: oshihuna at gmail.com
Skype: patrickcronin12061

P Please consider the environment before printing this e-mail / attachments