[albany-pm] Rakudo Perl

Will Coleda will at coleda.com
Mon May 12 22:55:07 PDT 2008

If anyone has read the Perl 6 Synopses (http://feather.perl6.nl/syn/)
and is interested in trying out some Perl 6[1][2], I recommend Rakudo
Perl (http://www.rakudo.org/). [3]

Easiest way to play is to download parrot
(http://www.parrotcode.org/source.html):

$ perl Configure . pl # spaces added to foil whatever my mail host's
attempt to save you from spam!
$ make perl6

This will give you a perl6 binary to play with [4]

$ ./perl6 -e "say 'Hello Albany' if 1 < 2 < 3"

If you have any questions or problems please ping the list and I can
help with any issues with Rakudo or parrot.

Enjoy!

--
Will "Coke" Coleda

[1] To answer one of the most common questions I get when mentioning
Perl 6, no, Perl 5 isn't dead or dying. Think of Perl 6 as another
language in the Perl family.
[2] To use some very specific Perl 6 features, you could just grab
5.10; some of the features planned for 6 have already been implemented
and released in the latest 5.10 release.
[3] Yes, there are other implementations. Rakudo is pretty easy to get
running, the one I'm most familiar with, and is under active
development.
[4] tested against a recent version from the subversion repository.