Communications question

Chastain, Jack (Jack)** CTR ** chastain at lucent.com
Fri Jul 9 13:43:28 CDT 1999

Greetings, all

A friend of mine is doing some serial communications control - something I
would very much like to do myself - with perl. He has a single snag. This
question has also been asked (and ignored?) on clpm, so.....

He is using the fnctl module and controlling things very nicely - but cannot
initiate a BREAK sequence. We need a BREAK to control operation of an
underlying network system. There apparently is no indications in the fnctl
module for a BREAK sequence.

Is anyone out there familiar with running any sort of serial communications
through perl - and, though I can not imagine anyone except us needing a
BREAK signal, does anyone know how to generate one using perl?

PS: we already know it is not a character, so don't go there!

Thanks!

		Jack