[adelaide.pm] perl @ the Fringe

Justin Hawkins justin at hawkins.id.au
Tue Feb 23 02:31:42 PST 2010

Just as a little bit of pimpage, if you are heading into the Fringe festivities, make sure you check this out:

http://whatgoesontourstays.com/

The guts of the system is a little PC running Asterisk, talking to a SIP box, with an old rotary phone connected to it. The IVR stuff that answers when you pick up the phone and records your sordid stories is all perl (see the Asterisk::AGI module).

Hideous, crufty perl, to be sure. I spent so long messing about with recalcitrant pulse-to-DTMF converters, uncooperative phones and truly ancient system packages, I had very little time to do the actual interesting part! But it does work, and it is cool.

	- Justin

P.S. If you happen to meet the person who ripped off the first phone, please beat them about the head with it.

--
Justin Hawkins
justin at hawkins.id.au