[ABE.pm] review of last night's hacking

Faber J. Fedor faber at linuxnj.com
Thu May 8 08:55:16 PDT 2008

On 08/05/08 11:25 -0400, Ricardo SIGNES wrote:
> * "Faber J. Fedor" <faber at linuxnj.com> [2008-05-08T11:11:52]
> ability to branch and merge so easily is what made git so useful last night.
> Maybe I'll mumble more about how that's cool later.
>
> Basically, the nice thing last night was the ability for each person to work on
> his own checkout, making commits that /did not affect anyone else/ and then to
> merge those.  In Subversion, those commits would have to go to the central
> server.  There are ways around this, but they're annoying, in my experience.

You're going to have to elaborate (not necessarily on the list), because
I didn't see much of a (functional) difference from what we did last
night and what Subversion does.  You pulling the changes in looked like
a pull from the "central repository" from where I was sitting.

> I will try to bring myself to part with the source.  I'm trying to keep it
> under wraps.  If you're going to be contributing to it, though, I should try to
> give you a clone of the repo. :)

Actually, I'm more interested in some of your programming techniques,
like the *_PATTERNS/dispatch table trick.  I want to see what else
you've got hidden in there.

Faber Fedor
President
Linux New Jersey, Inc.