[ABE.pm] review of last night's hacking

Ricardo SIGNES perl.abe at rjbs.manxome.org
Thu May 8 06:56:49 PDT 2008

So, I think last night's meeting was good!  Here's a recap for those who could
not attend:

We met at the upstairs room of the library with the intention of doing some
group hacking on a project to be provided by me.  I brought a game I've been
working on for a while.  After I got the shared workstation (a virtual Debian
box running on my laptop, under Parallels) set up properly, we got to work with
our respective editors.  We used git, with a setup like this:

  master repo on my laptop

  my clone on the virt
   |      |    |     |
  faber  tom  walt  paul

I pulled from the other guys regularly, and they pulled from my clone.  In the
future, there's no reason that it couldn't look more like (yow!) this:

  master repo on my laptop

  my clone on the virt
   |      |    |     |
  faber--tom--walt--paul
   | |    |    |    | |
   | +----|----+    | |
   +------|---------+ |
          +-----------+

In other words, everybody can share revisions with everybody else, so that
(say) Tom and Paul could work on one feature together before informing me that
it's ready to be merged to the local master.  (...and don't get me started on
how useful branches are for this!)

Anyway, I'm digressing about git, now.

The game's current interface is an IRC bot, so we spent some time adding
commands to it and fixing its output.  Basically all the work was done on
one IRC.pm file, and I don't think any obnoxious conflicts occurred.

I didn't have our workstation as prepared as I would have liked, so we couldn't
really start work until about 19:00, and we finished up around 20:45 or so.

I think it was a pretty successful, enjoyable venture.  If I am not alone in
thinking that, I think we could do that again.  Next time, we'd have a much
easier time of getting started.  I won't need to install any of the crap I had
to install last night, because I am not going to throw away that workstation
image.  I'll write up my notes on how I set up the networking stuff and see if
I can't make it a little simpler.

Anybody else have thoughts on how it went?