[ABE.pm] tech meeting, march 5, BAPL

Faber J. Fedor faber at linuxnj.com
Thu Feb 21 09:24:14 PST 2008

On 21/02/08 10:03 -0500, Ricardo SIGNES wrote:
> * "Faber J. Fedor" <faber at linuxnj.com> [2008-02-20T23:55:03]
> > You don't know anything about TheFrakinSchwartz, right?  I actually got
> > something running today. Ask me in a week and maybe I can say something
> > interesting about it.
>
> I don't.  I'd like to find a job queue to replace the one we use at work, but
> as with much of BRADFITZ's code, TheSchwartz is underdocumented.  There's also
> the related Gearman, IPC::DirQueue, and a dozen other solutions.  I haven't
> looked at Torque yet, either.

Well, I'm getting a handle on TheSchwartz.  Two things I've come across
IIUC: firstly, all your functionality is wrapped in a subclass with one
method called work() and secondly to add more functionality to your
worker (which is calling the subclasses previously mentioned) you have
to stop and start the worker. The latter doesn't sound right to me but
maybe The Proper Way FAIK.

Torque looks awesome if I had a cluster, which I [wd]on't but may be
easier to deal with than TheSchwartz just because of documentation.

> I'd gladly talk about Mac::Glue, but I'm not sure anyone else has a Mac. :(

Thanks for the tip.  What have you done with Mac::Glue?

> > There's a topic! (for the ML at least) What podcasts do you guys listen to?
>
> I don't.  I don't sync my iPod enough, and when I'm at my computer it'd be hard
> to listen to something that requires attention.

I listen to them when I'm driving or at the gym.

Faber Fedor
President
Linux New Jersey, Inc.
908-320-0357