[ABE.pm] curriculum ideas

Faber J. Fedor faber at linuxnj.com
Tue Aug 12 15:13:35 PDT 2008

For the past two weeks, I've been prepping to teach a four-day class on
Perl to Java programmers who know nothing about Perl, concentrating on
OOP Perl.  I figured most of my time would be spent going over the
differences between the two language and then concentrating on writing
objects.

I find out today they're not "Java programmers who know nothing of
Perl".  They run the gamut from having had to trouble-shoot a Perl
script to people who code in Perl everyday (described as "heavy
hitters")!  They're main interest is in getting better at Perl and being
able to support Movable Type for which the have plugins written by
consultants that need support.

Class starts on Monday.

The curriculum I have, with this group, I can cover in two days.  Three if
I talk rrrreeeaaallll ssssssllllllllloooooooowwwwwww. But, you know I
can't talk slow.

So I'm looking for ideas on what to do with these guys.  I'm looking for
interesting ideas to go over and/or hack together.  I'm going
to pour over HOP and "Advanced Perl Programming" for ideas.  A few
things I've already come up with are complex data structures (AoA, HoH,
etc.), caching of data, and some more complicated examples of closures.
Have them debug a Perl script that's *really* tricky/buggy ?

Suggestions and prayers welcome.

Faber Fedor
President
Linux New Jersey, Inc.