[ABE.pm] OT: "Halting State" by Charles Stross

Faber J. Fedor faber at linuxnj.com
Mon Apr 7 12:07:35 PDT 2008

On 07/04/08 14:23 -0400, Walt Mankowski wrote:
> On Mon, Apr 07, 2008 at 01:36:32PM -0400, Faber J. Fedor wrote:
> > On 07/04/08 19:26 +0200, Ricardo SIGNES wrote:
> > > Er, that isn't POV, that's... second person narrative?
> >
> > But yeah, it's an homage to some games called 'Adventure'.
>
> Wow.  I can see how that might work for a short story, but I think if
> I had to read an entire book like that I'd be throwing it across the
> room.

It worked quite well, IMO.  I especially like how it let you get into
the character's head, especially the geek's.

You want a book to throw across the room?  "Midnight's Children" by
Salman Rushdie. He does stuff to the English language that irritates the
eff out of me!  And that book is considered one of the Great Books of the
20th century!

Faber Fedor
President
Linux New Jersey, Inc.