[ABE.pm] Hackathon, Anyone?

James E Keenan jkeen at verizon.net
Wed Sep 5 18:13:31 PDT 2007

On Sep 5, 2007, at 9:17 AM, Jeff Horwitz wrote:

> On Wed, 5 Sep 2007, James E Keenan wrote:
>
>> At YAPC::NA::2007 in Houston, I recall hearing some folks from
>> Philadelphia and ABE discussing the possibility of organizing a
>> hackathon sometime in the fall or winter.
>>
>> Is anyone pursuing this possibility?
>
> i was aggressively pursuing it, and still am.  but after looking at
> the conference and holiday schedules (pittsburgh perl workshop in
> particular), it made more sense to move it to early 2008,

Okay.

> so i haven't been as vocal about it lately.
>
> as for venue, hotels in philly (the city) are just too expensive.

Understandably.

> there are several affordable places out here on the main line
> within walking distance of public transportation, so i've been
> focusing my efforts on researching those hotels.  i was going to
> compile a list and then start calling around to talk about
> facilities and group rates.

Hackathon Chicago last November took place in a suburban (or, more
precisely) exurban motel (Country Inns) > 40 miles out of Chicago.
The basic requirements were:  (1) one multi-purpose meeting room
capable of holding 30 people at tables available nearly round-the-
clock on a weekend; (2) wireless (the motel's ordinary DSL); and (3)
motel rooms.

Perhaps some place out near Exit 4 of the Jersey Pike would suffice.

Of course, a multi-purpose room at Penn, Drexel or Temple would be
even nicer!

jimk