[ABE.pm] OT: Macbook HD upgrade

Faber J. Fedor faber at linuxnj.com
Thu Nov 8 19:24:50 PST 2007

Last night at dinner, I mentioned I was going to upgrade the HD in my
Macbook.  Rick asked me to let him know how it turned out.  I know the
rest of you are dying to know as well.

Well, the hardware came in today and I did the upgrade.  What can I say?
It's a Mac; the upgrade Just Worked.

The Toshiba 160G HD and AZIO external enlcosure arrived today from
Newegg. The enclosure is very nice as it include the enclosure, a carry
case, a USB cable, an E-SATA(?) cable and a power supply; all for $20!

I slapped it all together and starting backing everything up with an
unregistered copy of SuperDuper!.  Two point five hours later, it was
done. Swapped hard drives and booted the machine.  Done.

The hardest part of the whole process was finding a Torx T9 screwdriver;
I had to go the three stores for that and even then I had to buy several
other (gaudy) screwdrivers because the T9 came in a set and not
indivually (nor even in a Torx-only set).

Easiest hardware upgrade I've *ever* done.

Faber Fedor
President
Linux New Jersey, Inc.
908-320-0357