[ABE.pm] self-modifying data structures

Ted Fiedler fiedlert at gmail.com
Wed Jun 6 05:07:21 PDT 2007

On 6/5/07, Faber Fedor <faber at linuxnj.com> wrote:

> On 6/5/07, Ted Fiedler <fiedlert at gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > Ive been chewing on it for a year. Another thing I sometimes do
> > depending on the size of the hash is to do md5 summing of the structure.
> >
> > get an md5 of the whole hash if thats different, get an md5 of each row
> > ( by key ) if its the same move on, if the row md5 is different then I will
> > actually compare the data. doing the check sums of the whole row is faster
> > than comparing each value - mileage varies.
> >

> That's a really freakin' cool idea!
>
> I'm going to have to look for an application of that idea!

Yes - some of the speed benefits alone have made my day :)

you should also take a look at Tie::DBI - there are some performance
considerations with that extra convenience though. This is all well
documented in the pod.

Ive seen some things that Ric has posted regarding Perl 5.10 that may make
> > my life easier ie switch statement and given that Im pretty eager to try.
> >

> I didn't know about the "hash as a dispatch table" trick.  I'm looking
> forward to using that one.
>
> You know, I think we need to do some more technical stuff in this group.
> The monthly dinners are good and all that, but anyone who's Internet-savvy
> could fit in.  We need to do some more hard-core Perl stuff.

Id like to see/do some more tech stuff as well what about an
abe.pmconference?  I went to a security conference given by the
Harrisburg LUG a
few years back and it was pretty good. Something like that on a smaller
scale would be cool to organize.

Ted

--
The optimist thinks that this is the best of all possible worlds,
and the pessimist knows it.