[ABE.pm] self-modifying data structures

Faber Fedor faber at linuxnj.com
Tue Jun 5 18:42:31 PDT 2007

On 6/5/07, Ted Fiedler <fiedlert at gmail.com> wrote:

> Ive been chewing on it for a year. Another thing I sometimes do depending
> on the size of the hash is to do md5 summing of the structure.
>
> get an md5 of the whole hash if thats different, get an md5 of each row (
> by key ) if its the same move on, if the row md5 is different then I will
> actually compare the data. doing the check sums of the whole row is faster
> than comparing each value - mileage varies.

That's a really freakin' cool idea!

I'm going to have to look for an application of that idea!

> Ive seen some things that Ric has posted regarding Perl 5.10 that may make
> my life easier ie switch statement and given that Im pretty eager to try.

I didn't know about the "hash as a dispatch table" trick.  I'm looking
forward to using that one.

You know, I think we need to do some more technical stuff in this group. The
monthly dinners are good and all that, but anyone who's Internet-savvy could
fit in.  We need to do some more hard-core Perl stuff.

Why did we stop having meetings at the university?

--

faber