[ABE.pm] tech meetings

Ricardo SIGNES rjbs-perl-abe at lists.manxome.org
Fri Aug 3 07:57:32 PDT 2007

We didn't talk too much about tech meetings, on Wednesday, but here are the
things that came up:

Ted has said that we can use a space at De Sales.  That's fine with me.  Maybe
at some point I'll look at getting a space at Moravian or Lehigh, but Allentown
seems like a swell place to start.

The last time we talked about scheduling, the suggestion was that we'd meet up
at the tech venue, watch the talk, and then head somewhere for beer and food.
The only place I know near the venue is Copperhead, about which I've heard
nothing much.

Ted:  are there really local places worth going, or are we better off going
back toward Bethlehem to Starters or even across the hill?

Assuming that we pick a topic and that the presenter can be reader, our next
meeting (and thus our first chance for trying this out) would be September 5th.
I wouldn't be surprised if whoever gets fingered to go first, though, isn't
ready until October 3rd.

We still had our list of desired topics devised ages ago.  Somewhat stripped
down and modernized it is:

  * writing secure perl code
  * modern web programming
  * generating SQL with perl
  * generating JavaScript with Perl
  * DBIx::Class and/or Rose::DB::Object
  * writing modules (presumably both "how to do so" and "how to cpanize")

Tom suggested he could do a talk on:

  * PDF::API2

I have prepared talks on:

  * Sub::Exporter
  * Perl Email Modules

I plan on producing talks on:

  * why email programming is harder than you think

...and I'm pondering doing my own take on that old chestnut:

  * really powerful evil stuff that you shouldn't do but that's lots of fun