[ABE.pm] Programming enviroment suggestions

Faber J. Fedor faber at linuxnj.com
Wed Sep 27 16:29:59 PDT 2006

I've been coding for a specific client for over two years now.  I've
been using the same enviroment the entire time and was wondering if
there was a more productive way of doing things.

Here's the setup:  database, SVN, and Perl code sitting on a Linux
server near Philly.  The code (scp|ftp|read)s files, munges the data,
puts the data into the database, generates some files and reports.
Pretty straightforward stuff.

My "programming enviroment" is to ssh into the box, fire up screen, edit
code with vim, debug it with 'perl -d', and check it into the repository
with svn.  Lately, I've been generating HTML reports, scp-ing them to my
local machine and viewing the reports in Firefox.

This paradigm is what I've been using for years. Short of copying the
60G database to my local machine, I was wondering if there was a more
efficient (and cooler :-) way of doing things. This paradigm works, but
with all of the advances made in networking apps, the ubiquity of
broadband, etc. there should be a more "modern" way of doing it, doncha'
think?

I've tried the remote X apps method (fire up gvim on the remote box,
have it display locally) but that's still pretty slow even on my
cablemodem, especially firing up the app the first time.

Any suggestions?

Faber Fedor
President
Linux New Jersey, Inc.