[ABE.pm] Perl modules with Ruby

Faber Fedor faber at linuxnj.com
Wed Mar 22 18:05:27 PST 2006

On Wednesday 22 March 2006 8:03 pm, Ricardo SIGNES wrote:
> * Faber Fedor <faber at linuxnj.com> [2006-03-22T19:21:14]
> > I want to play with Ruby, but I have several functions in a Perl module
> > that I don't want to rewrite right away.  Is there a way to use my Perl
> > module within Ruby?
>
> I don't think so... you can go the other way, but I don't know of any way
> to use Perl in Ruby.

C'est la vie.  Now to come up with a program idea that justifies writing most
stuff from scratch...

> > BTW, I've written several business-date functions that I couldn't find a
> > module for (getNextBusinessDay, getPreviousBusinessDay,
> > getNthBusinessDayOfMonth, etc.).  Did I miss a module somewhere?
>
> http://search.cpan.org/dist/Date-Calc/Calc.pod

Date-Calc has an odd concept of business days. IIRC they're Julian.

> There's also:
>
> http://search.cpan.org/~desiminer/Date-Business-1.2/Business.pm

The looks exactly what I was looking for.  How did you find it?  I went
googling for "perl",  "business", "date" and various permutations for weeks!

Faber Fedor
President
Linux New Jersey, Inc.
908-320-0357