[ABE.pm] Calling Python/Ruby from Perl

Faber J. Fedor faber at linuxnj.com
Mon Aug 21 18:33:19 PDT 2006

I came across this way cool concept of Edward Tufte's[1] called
sparklines[2] which I would LOVE to do in my reports.  Some people have
a web service[3] for it but they've also published the code, so I want
to use their stuff instead of writing my own.

Problem is, their stuff is written in Python.  How do I call another
program from within my perl script and get a return value?  I'm hoping
for something more elegant than back ticks or system().  Is there such a
thing?

[1]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Edward_tufte
[2]http://www.edwardtufte.com/bboard/q-and-a-fetch-msg?msg_id=0001OR&topic_id=1&topic=
[3]http://www.xml.com/lpt/a/2005/06/22/sparklines.html