[ABE.pm] Why bother with LaTeX? [was: Re: I'm a Mac user!]

Faber J. Fedor faber at linuxnj.com
Mon Aug 21 18:27:30 PDT 2006

On 18/08/06 11:52 -0400, Walt Mankowski wrote:
> On Thu, Aug 17, 2006 at 11:06:32PM -0400, Ricardo SIGNES wrote:
> > I haven't had LaTeX on my Mac for a while.  There used to be some ridiculous
> > i-Installer thing to install it.
>
> Yeah, there seem to a whole bunch of different versions of LaTeX for
> the Mac.  The main advantage of using tetex to me is its similarity to
> using it on Linux.
>
> No matter which LaTeX you've got, once you have it installed you can
> use cool tools like LaTeXiT[1].
>
> Walt
>
> 1. http://ktd.club.fr/programmation/latexit_en.php

I've always wanted to play with LaTeX more than circumspectly but I
could never convince myself to put in that much work.  Why?  I don't
print all that much, don't do any equation writing :-(, what I do
generate is from other apps (like invoices in QuikBooks), and most of my
clients are expecting PDFs and/or Word docs.

Does it make sense to learn LaTeX in that kind of enviroment?  I've
always thought "No" but I'm looking for a "Yes".  Have you got a "Yes"
for me? :-)

Faber Fedor
President
Linux New Jersey, Inc.