[ABE.pm] setting breakpoints in the debugger

Faber J. Fedor faber at linuxnj.com
Sat Aug 19 15:43:28 PDT 2006

To make a short story long...

I copied over MP3s of my favorite artist, Kate Bush, into iTunes to put
them on my iPod.  Worked great.  So I coied over MP3s of my second
favorite artists, Rage Against The Machine.  Worked not so great.  Turns
out there are no ID3 tags in my RATM (and many other) MP3s.

Since I'm not going to rip all of my CDs again, especially the one I
sold, I looked around for a program that would put ID3 tags into MP3s
and came across autotag.pl
(http://www-128.ibm.com/developerworks/linux/library/l-cpmp31.html)
which requires WebService::FreeDB.  While trying to figure out why
WebService::FreeDB wouldn't install, I came across the fact that
freedb.org is no more. ;-(

Fortunately, you can d/l the freedb database and software, so I decided
to set up a local freedb site.  After many hours (mainly extracting the
database) that seems to be working fine but WebService::FreeDB keeps giving me
either 404 errors or no response, so I've got to debug it.

Currently, to set a breakpoint at line 164 in WebService::FreeDB, I
start up the autotag.pl in the Perl debugger, set a breakpoint at the
first call to WebService::FreeDB, run to that breakpoint, step into the
function, set a breakpoint at line 164, hit 'r' (which returns me to the
calling program) and then hit 'r' again.

Isn't there a better way to set the breakpint at line 164 in
WebService::FreeDB from autotag.pl?  And how can I save my breakponts in
between debugging sessions?

Also, if anyone has a better way to ID3 tag my existing MP3s, I'm all ears.

Faber Fedor
President
Linux New Jersey, Inc.
908-320-0357