[ABE.pm] I'm a Mac user!

Steve Lidie sol0 at Lehigh.EDU
Fri Aug 18 06:40:37 PDT 2006

On Aug 18, 2006, at 9:18 AM, Randy Kramer wrote:

> On Friday 18 August 2006 08:30 am, Steve Lidie wrote:
>> On Aug 17, 2006, at 10:23 PM, Faber J. Fedor wrote:
>>> Surprisingly, I don't find the iPod/iTunes stuff all that
>>> intuitive, but
>>> I bet I'm "using it right".  I've got podcasts listed under music,
>>> video
>>> podcasts listed under video AND podcasts (the former playing the
>>> video
>>> and the latter playing only the audio) and a few other "weird"
>>> things.
>>
>> You have an iPod, you want to use iTunes.  Trust me :)
>
> iirc/iiuc, when you buy songs from iTunes, you get only the rights
> to play
> that song on an iPod (and have a limited number of transfers (3?)
> between
> iPods, if you upgrade or get a warranty replacement or similar).
> (And, iirc,
> the iPod format is "non-standard" (i.e., neither mp3 nor oggvorbis).
>
> I would think twice before sinking much money into an iTunes
> collection.  (Of
> course, I don't know if an iPod can handle a more standard format.)

First, one can use the ITMS w/o purchasing music.  But the rights to
copy (and share, via optical media or over the air) *purchased music*
are very generous, far more than "normal" people need. You can load
your *purchased music* to an unlimited number of iPods.

Of course there are no restriction whatsoever on ripped music, and
you can tell iTunes to rip in MP3 format rather than AAC.  But almost
everyone agrees that AAC wins over MP3.