[ABE.pm] I'm a Mac user!

Faber J. Fedor faber at linuxnj.com
Thu Aug 17 19:29:44 PDT 2006

On 17/08/06 20:48 -0500, Joshua McAdams wrote:
> > So, what neat stuff do I need to add to this little guy?  What's the Mac
> > equivalent of apt-get and where do I find a real terminal program (like
> > Konsole)?
>
> * Fink - ports of unix software
> * Adium - chat client that spans services

I don't do much chatting.  Maybe I should start?

> * Desktop Manager - multiple desktops

The salesgal made it a point I could have those.  I chuckled "Well, Mac
is catching up to Linux!"

> * Growl - messages

:-?  I look into it.

> * Monolingual - save some space if you only speak one language
> * NeoOffice - Open Office port

Cool!  I was thinking I'd like to do a presentation on my desktop (FC3)
and run it on my macbook!  The macbook remote control might actually be useful!

> * Simultron - text editor

I've got Vim.  What more is there? :-)

> * TextWrangler - text editor

See above.

> * VLC - media player

:-?  Isn't that like Xine (on Linux)?  Why would I need a media player
on a Mac?  Is that what Macs are noted for?

> * WhatSize - where has all of your space gone

That sounds useful.

Faber Fedor
President
Linux New Jersey, Inc.