[ABE.pm] a meeting! it's a miracle!

Randy Kramer rhkramer at gmail.com
Wed Sep 7 06:31:41 PDT 2005

On Tuesday 06 September 2005 10:32 pm, Ricardo SIGNES wrote:
> I am declaring that an EMERGENCY BEER DRINKING EVENT will be held on
> Wednesday, September 21st.  I will set up headquarters in the back room
> of J.P. McGrady's at 18:30 and I will remain there as long as is needed
> to perform vital business:

Where is McGrady's?

>   1. drink beer
>   2. eat dinner
>   3. talk about Perl (and Python (and Ruby (and Lisp)))
>   4. plan future ABE.pm business
>      including new recurring meetings
>   5. plan the "Perl for Shell Jockeys" talk for LVLUG
>
> You can let me know if you want to come, but come what may, I will be
> there.  (So will John.  Do you really want the /new guy/ to make it when
> you don't?  That's sad.)

I'm thinking about it--my biggest interest would be getting some people
interested in helping with the askSam/TWiki clone I'd like to build.

Anybody interested enough to want to hear more about it?

I am posting about it on the lvlug list, and I am considering (vacillating?)
among a lot of possible approaches, including some that might be done in Ruby
or Lisp (and some that might involve C++ and/or C).

I can copy/forward some of the old lvlug posts here if anybody is interested.

Or, you can look in the archives for a thread with the subject: askSam/TWiki
Clone (Project?) (the most recent thread on the subject)--looking in the
archives now--ahh, here's the first post in that
thread--http://www.thelinuxlink.net/pipermail/lvlug/2005-August/014838.html.

I had planned (and am still strongly leaning) to use nedit as the "embedded"
editor for the project, partly because it's my favorite editor but also
because I've written some useful macros in it (folding on twiki marked-up
headings, and searching in a multi-record file for records satisfying
multiple search criteria (boolean)).

Still, since I started that thread, I have become aware of all the emacs-wiki
stuff and in particular the file-wiki, which sounds (without much
investigation so far) like the frontend of the project I want to build (with
(perhaps) one exception, below)

Hence, an alternate description of the project might be a file-wiki front end
(with local content storage) for a TWiki backend (with the primary content
storage--i.e., the local content storage might be considered a mirror of the
TWiki content).

One more constraint (which tends to rule out emacs wiki, imho), is that I want
a system usable by (my/your) childen, grandchildren, parents, grandparents,
etc.

Randy Kramer