[ABE.pm] What's new in ABE Perldom?

Ricardo SIGNES rjbs-perl-abe at lists.manxome.org
Thu Jul 14 07:20:04 PDT 2005

* Phil Lawrence <phil at five-lawrences.com> [2005-07-14T10:12:00]
> On Jul 14, 2005, at 9:46 AM, Ricardo SIGNES wrote:
> > Did you read much more of Advanced Perl Programming 2?  I finished it,
> > and frankly I was somewhat disappointed.  I wrote a review of it
> [ ... ]
>
> But really I have to call this book a reference, because I'm not
> parsing anything now, I'm not creating any fancy OO stuff now, I'm
> not doing any Unicode now, in fact I'm not writing *any* perl now!
> But it certainly has a place next to the Camel for anyone actually
> doing, well, "advanced" perl programming.

I guess.  To me it's more like a guide to a few good CPAN modules that
adress problems someone might encounter while doing things other than
system administration with Perl.  Maybe it's about doing advanced things
with Perl, but ... well, maybe I'm spitting hairs.

APP1 was a little more "advanced Perl," although it was also a lot of
module review.  The two best books I've read on advanced Perl
programming are without a doubt Conway's Object-Oriented Perl and
Dominus's Higher-Order Perl.

Now, if Ovid writes a Logical Perl, we'll be set all over.  (And maybe
an Event-Driven Perl for POE would help.)