[ABE.pm] recent code

Lidie Steve sol0 at lehigh.edu
Sun Jul 4 21:44:58 CDT 2004

On Jul 4, 2004, at 10:25 PM, Ricardo SIGNES wrote:

> * Lidie Steve <sol0 at Lehigh.EDU> [2004-07-04T22:02:05]
>> On Jul 1, 2004, at 6:57 PM, Ricardo SIGNES wrote:
>>>
>>> I've actually been writing code, which is nice.  That is, I'm not
>>> just
>>> doing crappy work code that's all about fixing employment records or
>>> automating finance reports.  Yay!
>>
>> 1) request an example that one can run before installation
>>
>> 2) so I came up with this:
>>
>>  perl -Mblib -e  'use Acme::ProgressBar; progress {sleep 5}'
>>
>> it took 47 seconds to execute, so I am confused
>
> I have uploaded Acme::ProgressBar 1.003, which fixes this problem.  I
> am
> dumb!
>
> I had a base iteration (run and time the code) and then the delays and
> message updates.  For some reason, I only delayed and updated eight
> times, when I clearly needed nine.  Thanks for reminding me that we use
> base ten here on Earth.

I saw good sig recently:

> --
> There are 10 kinds of people in the world:
> those who understand binary, and those who don't.
>
> Tom Stiller

Then again, I've always been an octal kind of hacker, but that's still
just another kind of binary.

>> although all being equal I would have tought this would have performed
>> similarly:
>>
>>  perl -Mblib -e  'progress {sleep 5}'
>
> Nope!  -Mblib will only find blib and put it into your path.  It won't
> actually use the code in there.  So, this would've worked:
>
>  perl -Mblib -MAcme::ProgressBar -e'progress {sleep 5}'

But it always works for *my* modules ;) (and typically others!).  Then
again, they're mostly Tk modules.

> I never use blib, for no good reason.  I always use -I lib, since it
> saves me having to 'make' before testing.

Do not grok, grasshopper.

For brevity this always works for me:

perl Makefile.PL
make test