[ABE.pm] recent code

Ricardo SIGNES rjbs-perl-abe at lists.manxome.org
Thu Jul 1 17:57:02 CDT 2004

Anybody up to anything exciting?

I've actually been writing code, which is nice.  That is, I'm not just
doing crappy work code that's all about fixing employment records or
automating finance reports.  Yay!

* http://search.cpan.org/~rjbs/Acme-ProgressBar-1.001/

  As I threatened to do at YAPC, I released Acme::ProgressBar, and it
  works as described.  Someone told me he was going to write
  Acme::ProgressBar::Simple, which is a frightening idea.

* http://search.cpan.org/~rjbs/Date-Span-1.004/

  I got this stupid code broken out into its own module.  It breaks long
  time spans into little ones.

  Man, I cannot TELL you how much I sufferred back when I was dumb and
  trying to write this report to take a lot of "begintime, finishtime, event"
  reports that gave me daily event-time.  It kinda worked.  Then I saw
  how the UK office did it; it was /horrifying/ and bad.  So, finally I
  write something better, and this was the best general purpose thing I
  could get out of it.  Meh.

* http://search.cpan.org/~rjbs/List-MapList-1.004/

  This is also kinda... well, dumb.  But fun.  I'm having fun finding
  ways to abuse it.  It's like map, but it cycles through a list of
  subs, instead of using one block.

  My favorite dumb use, so far, is the partial rot13 example in the
  docs.

* http://search.cpan.org/~rjbs/Number-Tolerant-1.006/

  This is what I really wanted to say "hey lookee!" about, though.  I'm
  using it at work -- well, I'm not, but I plan to.  It shoves values
  like "5 +/- 1.5" into a scalar and it acts like a number.  Mostly.
  Kinda.

  It's my first time playing around much with overload.pm, except for a
  few little things here and there fixing boolean or stringificaiton.
  Fun, but complicated, stuff!  Testing it was a pain, once I realized
  it mattered that argument order wasn't guaranteed...

Anyway, that's what I've been coding lately.  How about everybody else?
Life staying interesting?

Any suggestions for the topic for our meeting on the 12th?