[ABE.pm] Programming Project, maybe in Ruby

Randy Kramer rhkramer at gmail.com
Thu Dec 2 13:28:34 CST 2004

On Thu, 2 Dec 2004 12:45:13 -0500, Ricardo SIGNES
<rjbs-perl-abe at lists.manxome.org> wrote:
> I won't work on non-Free software unless I'm paid, fwiw.

Understandable!  This would be a project built on spec(ulation), so
any form of compensation would have to be based the same way (if we
head in the direction of non-open source -- although I keep hearing
that GPL software can be commercial and/or proprietary (I get confused
trying to follow those conversations)).

> > The project might be described as modeled after askSam, but with the
> > things I've seen since I started my sojourn into Linux, I have quite a
> > few modifications in mind.
>
> Can you give a bit of an explanation?  I've never used "askSam."

Quoting from one of my WikiLearn pages about askSam: "askSam is a free
format database with excellent search capabilities (and some scripting
capabilities, and other stuff I won't mention (like structured data)"

See also some or all of these WikiLearn (or TWiki) pages.  Some are
very incomplete, some are seemingly off topic, but either reflect a
tidbit or two about askSam, or in describing good things about, for
example, TWiki, describe things that do or should exist in askSam or
any Linux workalike:

   * http://www.asksam.com
   * http://www.asksam.com/cgi-bin/as_web5.exe?Command=First&File=tutorial.ask
   * http://twiki.org/cgi-bin/view/Codev/AskSam
   * http://twiki.org/cgi-bin/view/Wikilearn/AskSamForLinux
   * http://www.twiki.org/cgi-bin/view/Wikilearn/AskSam
   * http://twiki.org/cgi-bin/view/Wikilearn/WhatIsATWiki
   * http://twiki.org/cgi-bin/view/Wikilearn/WhatIsATWikiGoodFor
   * http://twiki.org/cgi-bin/view/Wikilearn/Rhk200311November
   * http://twiki.org/cgi-bin/view/Wikilearn/AskSamForLinuxDev
   * http://twiki.org/cgi-bin/view/Codev/RfcModifiedTWikiHeadingMarkup

> > The last time I used source control it was Microsoft's source safe.  I
> > need to learn CVS or something better (and other modern programming
> > tools) to make the project as "professional" as possible.  (The point
> > of this paragraph is that I need help learning how to use and setup
> > such tools.)
>
> Subversion is a simple, popular solution these days.  Free, including
> its book -- both beerwise and speechwise.

Have you used (or are you familiar with) some of the other similar
tools available today -- arch, and the one Linus is using, and
others??  Any specific reasons why you'd choose subversion over the
others (well, I do know (I think) that neither arch nor the thing
Linux uses are free)?

regards,
Randy Kramer