[Aarau-pm] Swiss Perl Workshop 2013 - Call for Papers / Participation

Roman Baumer rba at cpan.org
Sa Jan 26 00:51:47 PST 2013

Call for Papers / Participation

On Friday 22. March 2013 the first Swiss Perl Workshop held at University Bern. Target group of the workshop are all serious Perl users and those who want to be there.

Our workshop stands and falls with the talks. Lectures are usually 5, 20 or 40 minutes. Any issues that have to do in any way with Perl or Perl environment, can be interesting as talks for the workshop.

You currently only have a vague idea for a theme? No problem: we are interested in principle, all issues that have to do in any way with Perl. Question 'in doubt, just early enough for us. We like to help you to flesh out a vague topic.

All lectures will be in plenary offered. Conference language is English. This should allow everyone to follow and to participate.

You send us your proposal no later than Thursday, 28. Feburary 2013 as abstract. You are welcome to propose several topics. Your  abstract should be in about 2000 characters (which is about 30 lines 72 columns) describe the subject, what is special about your approach and why Perl as a language is particularly useful in this case.

To submit a proposal, please login to the website and submit the form with a new presentation (http://act.perl-workshop.ch/spw2013/newtalk).

Long talks (40 minutes)

Lecture of 40 minutes and then 5 minutes for questions and answers. Long talks should go into detail on one or two particularly interesting aspects of the subject.

Short presentations (20 minutes)

Lecture of 20 minutes and then 5 minutes for questions and answers. Short presentations include showcasing projects interesting.

Ultra short presentations (5 minutes)

At the afternoon of the workshop day there will be space for "Lighting Talks". Here, in particular those who trust (yet) have a long lecture, make an active contribution to the workshop and try her first appearance as a lecturer.

Likewise here space for lectures under the theme "My favorite module" is where an interesting, useful and perhaps too little known Perl module is briefly presented.

If in doubt, it helps us and you, if you send an email (spw at perl-workshop.ch), to ask questions or to clarify ambiguities.

Ideas for topics

(Not exclusive list) as an inspiration, we offer here a number of word-like suggestions for topics to which we can think of interesting lectures:

* Debugging (use of existing debugging tools)
* Testing (especially as unit testing, test-first approach)
* Refactoring (as defined by Kent Beck / Martin Fowler)
* Design
* Documentation (Automation / generation)
* Code Generation (code from specifications)
* My favorite CPAN module

Other issues on which we can think of interesting presentations (not exhaustive):

* Current web frameworks: Catalyst, Dancer, Mojolicious, ...
* Object Orientation: Moose, Moose :: Autobox, ...
* Database Abstraction: DBIx :: Class, Rose :: DB
* SPAM-Detection
* Unicode
* Perl-IO
* Perl 6
* Perl6-to-Perl5 integration and vice versa
* "Really great" Perl systems
* Release Management
* Comparison of "same" software systems (template engines, wikis, XML engines, ...)
* Compatibility with other systems
* (Cross-platform) GUI Programming
* Advice on the use of Perl (eg commissioning of larger Perl systems (WebGUI, ...))

Participation

This event will undoubtedly provide the best way to get in touch with other Perl developers from Switzerland (and from abroad).
Feel free to register (http://act.perl-workshop.ch/spw2013/registration.html) to be part of the workshop.

Sponsors

An event like this would not be possible without sponsors. We offer great opportunities to for sponsoring. Please have a look at (http://act.perl-workshop.ch/spw2013/sponsoring.html) or send an email (spw at perl-workshop.ch).

--
Swiss Perl Workshop 2013: www.perl-workshop.ch